Wednesday 7 December 2011

Fairy Lights

As I walked home from work yesterday I enjoyed looking at all the fairy lights in peoples windows and round doors. There were a few Christmas Trees up but I'm sure there will be more over the next few weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

A while ago I blogged about turning the lights off in rooms you're not using. Christmas lights are tricky because you want to leave them on so people can see them but it wastes energy if you're leaving lights on when no-ones there. My solution is to include them in my "putting the house to bed" routine. As we walk round the house at night turning lights off and closing doors to keep the heat in the Christmas Tree lights go out too, and then in the morning they go back on for breakfast. Then if we go out they're turned off and when we come back they go back on. It means a lot of turning on and off but I can appreciate the lights without feeling guilty about using lots of electricity.

I'm off to a Christmas party this afternoon. I doubt there will be any Fairtrade wine but the food should be quite environment-guilt free as the restaurant's website says it uses the "finest locally sourced products" whenever possible. I'm not going veggie, which would probably be more environmentally friendly but it's good to know the turkey's probably local!

No comments:

Post a Comment