Friday 27 January 2012

Bits and Pieces

I love seasonal food but there's only so much leek I can eat so this week we made our veg order a bit different.  We ordered potatoes, carrots, parsnips, onions, a squash and a few other things for the same price as our normal box; so it's a nice change. And this time I remembered to order some Spanish clementines as well as my British apples. Now the fridge and cupboards are all stocked up with local veg again.

As well as our veg box arrival yesterday I visited Brockholes nature reserve again. This time (Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safari will be pleased to hear) I saw large flocks of chaffinches, some great tits, a swan and several other U.K. native birds. But just as I was leaving I noticed a small-ish bird of prey in a tree. I was driving at the time so didn't get a good look, all I saw was a spotty front. I thought that might be enough because my first impression was it wasn't a kestrel but having looked online I can't tell what it was! I must get better at bird ID, but whatever it was it was very pretty when it flew off.

No comments:

Post a Comment